Netgear provides networking hardware to its clients. They provide many different types of routers, extenders, cameras and more. The Netgear products usually provide a very reliable connection and a very user friendly, smooth experience. There are a lot of advanced features of the routers such as Parental Control, mywifi ext net, the Guest Network, the username and password can be changed as desired by the user, the status of the router and the connected devices can be checked and a lot more. The user can access these features by logging in to the router. The user can login to the router using www.routerlogin.net web domain. It was very difficult and troublesome for the users to login earlier because they had to know or find out the default IP address specific to their routers. Netgear provided the users with a solution. They now ship their routers pre-configured to use www.routerlogin.net instead of the default IP address. This way, the user doesn’t have to worry about remembering or writing down the default IP addresses of their routers.
Once the user has logged in to their router using routerlogin.net, they can configure their network using the advanced features of the router. The login procedure is good for many things. The status of the router and the devices connected to it can also be checked to make sure that there are no other devices connected to user’s network without the user’s permission. The user can wish to change the default information of the router and configure it to get the most of their router.
The user can also limit access to the internet on certain devices as well as block or restrict inappropriate content or websites on their network. The user can choose to change or connect to different bandwidth channels on their network as well for different purposes.
One of the most important uses of logging in is to keep the firmware of the router in check. The Smart Wizard will notify the user when there is an upgrade available for the router. The firmware must be updated in order for the router to stay up to date. In order for the router to be able to connect to the new media devices, the router’s firmware must be up to date. There are new media devices coming out almost every day. In order for the router to connect to the devices, and so that the user doesn’t have to go around buying new routers every time they wish to buy a new media device, the firmware must be updated. The firmware update brings bug fixes; any previously faced issue fixes, routerlogin.net, mywifi ext net, potential speed boosts and might even add some new features to the router. One of the main concerns of a firmware update is the security on the router. All the sensitive information of the user passes through the router such as their banking information, their emails and passwords, their private information and much more. So, to prevent the router’s security from being vulnerable to any potential threats the firmware of the router needs to be updated.
We will show you the troubleshooting steps to setup and login to the Netgear router, how to reset the router, how to change the username and password for the router and how to manually download and update the firmware of the router.
How to setup and login to the Netgear router
- Connect the modem to the WLAN port of the router using an Ethernet cable. It is advised that the connections are wired as wireless connections might corrupt the router.
- Now, connect the device to any of the LAN ports provided at the back of the router using another Ethernet cable. Make sure that the connections are made properly on both ends.
- Switch off the computer or laptop, the modem and the Netgear router and then turn them on again. Wait for the devices to finish booting up.
- Now, open up any internet browser of your choice on the same device and type www.routerlogin.net in the address bar. A login window will open up.
5. The login window will ask you for the default username and password. The default username is “admin” and the default password is “password” for most of the Netgear routers. The username and the password are both case sensitive. If the user fails to login to the router using the default password, then the user might have changed the password for the router at some point. Try logging in with any other previously set passwords on the router. If that fails too, then the router needs to be reset in order to restore the router back to its factory default settings.
6. Enter the default information of the router to login to the router. After the user has logged in, the Setup Wizard web interface will show. Click the Setup Wizard.
7. The Setup Wizard will now detect the type of internet connection that you have. The setup wizard will detect the internet connection as Dynamic IP for all the wired connections.
8. After the setup wizard has detected the type of internet connection, click Next to save all the settings.
The user will now have setup and logged in to their Netgear router. The user can change or reconfigure their router as they please and start using their internet.
How to reset the Netgear router
If the user ever forgets or loses the password for their router, then the router will be needed to reset in order to restore the router back to its factory default settings. Take note that if the user resets the router, mywifi ext net all of their personalized settings will get reset too. Here are the steps to reset the Netgear router:
- Locate the Reset button at the back of the Netgear router. It might be labeled as Reset or Restore Factory Settings. The name may vary for different router models.
- Using a paper clip or something similar, press and hold the reset button for about ten seconds.
- After holding the reset button for ten seconds, release the button. The LED lights on the front of the router will start blinking. Once the LED lights become stable, the router will have reset.
It is advised that the reset process isn’t interrupted as it may corrupt the router. After the reset has been completed, the user can login to their Netgear router using the default information of the router. The user can now choose to configure their router using the Smart Wizard web interface.
How to change the default username and password for the Netgear router
It is recommended that the default username and password for the router to be changed when the user first installs the router to secure their network. Make sure that the username does not contain any sensitive information as the username is shown on other devices. Make sure that the password is difficult for other people to guess so that not just anybody can go on to connect to your network without your permission. Here are the steps to change the default username and password for your Netgear router:
- Open any internet browser of your choice on a computer or a laptop that is connected to the Netgear router using an Ethernet cable.
- Type routerlogin.net in the address bar of the browser and press enter. A login page will then display.
- You will be prompted to type in the default information of the router. The default username is “admin” and the default password is “password” for most of the Netgear routers. The username and password are both case sensitive. If the user cannot login using the default information, then there is a chance that the user might have changed the default password. In that case, try logging in with any other passwords. If that fails too, then a router reset will be required for the user to be able to login again using the default information. The reset takes the router back to its factory default settings.
- After the user has logged in, the Basic Home page displays. Click OK.
- Select the Wireless option from the justify side of the screen.
- You will see the Network Name (SSID) option. Here, you can opt to change the username of the Netgear router. Make sure you do not enter any private information there.
- Under this, you will see the Passphrase (Network Key) option. Here, you can choose to change the default password for your Netgear router. Make sure that the password is hard for people to guess.
- Click Apply to save the settings on the router.
Your changes will now be saved. The user can login to the router and connect any other device to the router using the new username and password.
How to update the Firmware of the Netgear router manually
- Open any internet browser on the device that is connected to the Netgear router via an Ethernet cable.
- Go to the NETGEAR Download Center and download the latest firmware of your router. Make sure that you type in the model number of the router correct. Download and save the file to the desired location.
- Now, open up another internet browser and type www.routerlogin.net in the address bar. You will be prompted to type in the default username and password for your router. The default username is “admin” and the default password is “password” for most of the Netgear routers. The username and password are case sensitive.
- Select Administration under the ADVANCED tab.
- Click the Router Update or Firmware Update button. It might vary for different router models.
- Click Choose File or Browse option to locate the previously downloaded file.
- Click Open. Now, click on Update.
Do not interrupt the upgrade process anyhow as it may corrupt the router and render it useless. Once the upgrade is finished, the router will reboot itself. Wait for the router to reboot. After the router has finished rebooting, you can start using the internet.